Barrister & Solicitor
Alexander (Sandy) Watt has practised criminal law in Kamloops for more than 30 years, representing clients at every level of court, including the Supreme Court of Canada. He served the legal community as a bencher on the Law Society of B.C. from 1992-94; past president of the Kamloops Bar Association; and mentor to law students and new lawyers.
Alexander represents clients across B.C. including into the far north, as well as in Alberta. He has been lead counsel on more than 30 murder trials, as well as attempted murder, dangerous driving, impaired driving, assault and all other matters under the Criminal Code of Canada. A career highlight was arguing Regina vs Beatty before the Supreme Court of Canada – a precedent setting decision that has resulted in the acquittal of many other similarly charged clients.
When he is not defending clients, Alexander is a passionate supporter of his community and has worked on a number of projects to enhance the lives of local residents. His vision for athletic excellence in Kamloops was instrumental in the development of the Tournament Capital Centre. He also served on the Kamloops Arts Commission and as a trustee on the Kamloops Art Gallery Board. He was an active member on the Mayor’s Committee for the Performing Arts Centre.
Called to the bar: 1976 (University of B.C.)
Preferred Area of Practice: Criminal law
- Law Society of B.C. (former bencher)
- Kamloops Bar Association (past president)
- Canadian Bar Association (past president, Criminal Subsection)
- Kamloops Art Gallery, trustee
- Tournament Capital Centre
- Rivershore Golf Club
- Kamloops Art Commission (past member)
- Mayor’s Committee for the Performing Arts (past member)
- Gur Singh Brain Injury Golf Tournament Committee (past member)
- Kamloops Community Society for Sports Excellence (past president)
- Royal Inland Hospital Board (past director)